The New Salesforce Chatter Messenger!
Have you seen the Chatter Messenger that was introduced in the Salesforce Summer '12 Release? This is a communications tool that allows you to chat with your coworkers -- in REAL-TIME (instant messaging). Unlike Chatter, where you post a question or comment and wait for someone to reply, with this new Messenger, you can ping a specific person and have a real-time conversation. You can see when a coworker is online and available and engage in private one-on-one instant messages.
Some other features of the Chatter Messenger include:
- Chatter Status -- Don't feel like chatting? Or in the middle of something important? That's ok... you can change your chat status accordingly to "Available", "Away", or "Offline".
- Group Chat -- Ever been engaged in a conversation with a co-worker and need to pull in an additional resource? With Chatter Messenger, you can add up to 10 people to your chat.
- My Favorites List -- Everyone has "go-to" people that they always chat with. Now you can add them to a Favorites list and they will show up at the top of your chat lists.
- Pop-Out Chat Window -- You can continue chatting even when you minimize your browser or use other applications by popping out the chat window into a separate browser.
- Add Emoticons -- Who doesn't love those friendly smiley faces? You can now add them by typing in the characters - see below.
- Edit Chat Options -- Click on the "gear" icon at the top of the chat window and you can change your chat settings including when to change your Away status, showing emoticons, timestamps, sounds, etc.
Pretty cool, right? So, how do you go about getting this Messenger? Simple. All editions with Chatter turned on (including Chatter.com and Chatter Free) are automatically enabled with Chatter Messenger. Even better -- it's free and available to every employee in an enterprise.
On a personal note, I like the new Messenger. It allows me to quickly ask a question to a co-worker. Could I just pick up the phone or walk over and talk to the person? Sure, but sometimes I just need a quick answer and I don't want to be drawn into a long conversation about 5 other topics. Will I solve the world's problems with Messenger? Certainly not, but like any other tool, it has it's relevant uses.
Have you been using Chatter Messenger in your organization? Please feel free to post a comment about the new Messenger or to let us know how you are using this new tool!